Mark D. Strachan
Mark has 35 years of trial experience. He focuses on patent and commercial litigation. His clients include inventors and companies in the fields of wireless communication, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, e-commerce and construction materials. Mark is a native of East Texas. Returning to his hometown after law school, Mark has been honored to know and represent farmers, machine shops, welders, builders, doctors, oil and gas producers, consumers, and businesses. He shared his knowledge of practical law by teaching as an adjunct professor at East Texas Baptist University in Marshall, Texas. In 2006, Mark joined Sayles Werbner to apply his trial experience to patent litigation as well as the firm’s complex commercial matters. Mark is frequently asked to step into complex cases on the eve of trial. Sayles Werbner has developed an approach which allows them to quickly immerse themselves in the issues of a case, organize the evidence, prepare pretrial disclosures, and plan meaningful trial presentations.
- U.S. Supreme Court appeal in a wireless technology case resulting in reversal of Federal Circuit ruling on the law of induced infringement.
- Federal Circuit appeal affirming denial of attorneys’ fees.
- Licensing campaign on behalf of inventor of e-commerce patents.
- Defense of accused infringer of e-commerce patents.
- Defense of a New York hedge fund accused of a business disparagement in multibillion-dollar case.
- Defense of accused infringer of medical device patents.
- Settlement on behalf of patent owner in patent infringement case involving wireless technology.
- Defense of commercial insurance brokers in a business disparagement case.
- Defense of account executive in securities arbitration.
- Representation of defendant in legal malpractice suit arising out of a patent infringement case.
Honors And Awards
American Board of Trial Advocates, Associate since 2011
Texas Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Thomson Reuters
Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
State Bar of Texas
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for Eastern and Northern Districts of Texas
Texas State District Courts
Eastern District of Texas Bar Association
Dallas Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
University of Texas School of Law, J.D.
University of Texas at Tyler, M.B.A.
University of Texas, B.B.A.
“Opening Statements in a Patent Trial,” Advanced Patent Litigation, 2018
“Commil USA v. Cisco,” Chicago-Kent College of Law Supreme Court IP Review, 2015
“Civility Matters,” Dallas Chapter of American Board of Trial Advocates, 2015
“Professionalism,” 2014 Texas Advance Patent Litigation Seminar, 2014
“Eastern District of Texas Practices,” Frommer Lawrence and Haug, 2013
“Reversed and Remanded,” Texas Lawyer Video Series, 2013
“Turning the Tables—Offers of Judgment Under Federal Rule 68,” Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, Sept. 2015