Richard A. Sayles
Richard “Dick” Sayles began his career at Carrington, Coleman, Slomen & Blumenthal, and loved every minute of it. However, he always felt a strong desire to be in charge of his own destiny, to place himself on a path where success or failure would fall entirely on him. It was that desire that propelled him to start his own law firm in 1994. He began with two goals in mind: Take on big cases in a small, boutique firm environment, and achieve good results for his clients.
Dick was never interested in specializing his litigation practice. His mentor, legendary attorney Jim Coleman, believed that if a lawyer was skilled enough, he could try anything from a slip and fall to a securities fraud case. That’s exactly what Dick has done. Over four decades, he’s taken more than 150 cases to trial, winning more than a dozen jury verdicts exceeding millions of dollars. His experience reaches both state and federal courts, handling cases involving defense of and claims against corporate directors and officer, securities claims, product liability and patent infringement suits, and high-stakes commercial litigation. Whether representing plaintiffs or defendants, individuals or corporations, Dick thrives in the courtroom.
Practice Areas: Business Litigation, Legal Malpractice, Patent Litigation, Personal Injury, Product Liability, Securities & Financial Fraud
Dick has often represented major corporations as plaintiff and defendant in commercial disputes and patent cases. His recent or current cases include:
- Representation of a national law firm in a dispute with departing shareholders/partners.
- Defense of qui tam actions.
- Defense of publically held pipeline company in alleged environmental contamination case.
- Successful defense of law firms and lawyers against claims of professional negligence.
- Successful defense of New York hedge fund in a sizable fraud lawsuit.
- Head of several trial teams that obtained substantial patent infringement jury awards.
- Representation of corporate officers and directors for alleged breach of fiduciary duties.
- Representation of high-level executives regarding disputes over stock options and incentive pay.
- Defense of patent infringement claims and representation of patent holders in litigation of infringement claims.
- Defense against enforcement of a covenant not to compete.
- Defense of the city of Dallas in multiple suits by firefighters and police officers claiming a significant amount of back pay.
- Representation of minority shareholder in corporate repurchase of stock.
- Successful defense of corporation and employees sued for alleged business disparagement.
- Successful representation of a national law firm in the recovery of a disputed multi-million dollar fee.
Honors And Awards
Named to Lions of the Texas Bar by The Texas Lawbook, 2016-2017
Recognized among the Leaders in Their Field in Commercial Litigation by Chambers USA, 2013-2017
Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America for Bet-the-Company Litigation, Dallas/Fort Worth, 2018
Recognized as one of the nation’s Top Commercial Litigation Attorneys by Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2018
Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, Dallas/Fort Worth, 2016
Top 10 Super Lawyers in Texas by Thomson Reuters, 2005, 2010-2015
Tier 1 Ranking of Best Law Firms by U.S. News/Best Lawyers, 2010-2017
Trial Lawyer of the Year, Texas chapters of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), 2011
AV®Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest level of professional excellence
Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
State Bar of Texas
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
American Bar Association
Dallas Bar Association
University of Houston Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
Comment and Case Note Editor, University of Houston Law Review
Vanderbilt University, B.A.
ABOTA – Trial Tips for the Big Cases from the Trial Masters (2016)
Texas State Bar – Advanced Trial Strategies (2016)
Masters in Trial – A Trial Demonstration from Opening Statement through Jury Deliberation (2015)
Sayles Werbner Wins US Supreme Court Ruling for Commil USA
Multimillion-Dollar Hedge Fund Defense Win
Multimillion-Dollar Patent Infringement Verdict
Sayles Werbner Earns Rare Texas Supreme Court Ruling
Founders of Dallas’ Sayles Werbner Named Among Top Attorneys in the Nation
Seven Sayles Werbner Attorneys Named Among Dallas' Best
Sayles Werbner Dallas Attorneys Earn Chambers USA Litigation Rankings
Dallas’ Dick Sayles Recognized Among Nation’s Top Commercial Litigation Attorneys
Dallas Attorney Dick Sayles Earns Induction to International Academy of Trial Lawyers